“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will rule your life and you will call it Fate.”
Have you heard the term ‘conscious living’ and wondered what the heck it means? It may be a bit of a buzzword in the spiritual world, but the concept of conscious living has been around for a long time.
What does it mean to live a more conscious life and why does it matter?
I think of it as being awake and fully present, rather than living life on autopilot. Living consciously is to be aware of your thoughts, choices and actions. In this way, you are taking control of your life rather than letting life happen to you. It’s not about controlling the circumstances but being mindfully aware of your responses.
What steps can you take today towards a more conscious lifestyle?
- A daily mindfulness practice – This can be formal meditation, perhaps first thing in the morning or before bed, whilst washing the dishes, eating or simply taking a walk in nature and observing seasonal changes.
- An attitude of gratitude – Acknowledge what’s good in your life already – whether that’s supportive friends, a job you love, anything you are thankful for. Try writing down three things you’re grateful for at the end of each day before bed.
- Check in with your emotions – Pay attention to your emotions throughout the day – without judgement. Notice what triggers different responses so you can get better at managing them effectively.
- Assess your priorities – What really matters to you? Consider your top 3 values. Take regular audits to gauge whether your daily activities align with your long-term goals.
- Keep it simple – Forget multitasking – focus on just one thing at a time. Eliminate any toxic people & situations from your life.
- Cut out external noise – In yoga, this is pratyahara, one of the 8 limbs. Put it into action by cutting down on screen time & spending time away from busy interactions to allow your awareness to focus on your inner landscape.
- Understand your design – Working with your Human Design can support a conscious lifestyle; when you truly understand how you tick and what makes you different, you’ll naturally see a shift towards living life on purpose.
The gifts of conscious living are plentiful; greater fulfillment & success, deeper, more authentic relationships and better well-being to name a few. Which step will you take today to embody a more conscious life?